Friday, July 25, 2014

Refrigerator pickles



I have eaten these pickles for more years than I can remember! Refrigerator pickles bring back memories of my mother and my parent's garden where they grew cucumbers, beets, peas, beans, tomatoes, potatoes and squash in their enormous back yard garden. It was my own personal farmer's market.




My mother used to love to make these pickles and I loved to eat them. Perhaps your mother made them too as I'm sure this recipe is ages old.



It's a simple sweet and sour pickle made without cooking that will last 2-3 months in the refrigerator. I keep adding freshly cut cucumbers to the jar as they ripen on the vine. I've already had to go to a larger jar now that the cucumbers are becoming more plentiful but these were my first pride and joys.





I love watching the blossoms turn into teeny-tiny cucumbers and watching them grow every day, sometimes seemingly overnight. I grew these space-saving cucumbers from seed and I'm training them to grow up our fence. The farmers' markets are full of cucumbers right now for you to try this simple recipe - no canning equipment required!

Refrigerator Pickles
~from Savoring Time in the Kitchen's Mom
Printable Recipe

Makes about 6 Cups

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1-2 teaspoons celery seed (I use 2)
1 teaspoon salt

3 cups sliced cucumber
3 small onions, thinly sliced

Place sliced cucumber and onions in a large container or bowl. In a separate bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, water and salt together until dissolved. Add celery seed. Pour mixture over cucumber and onions and refrigerate.

**Many have asked when these can be eaten.  I sometimes nibble on them the same day but they taste best in 1-2 days in my opinion.  

Keeps for 2-3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment