Monday, September 2, 2013

Holiday wrap up

Hi everyone!
I can't believe the three day weekend is over! Today's paper had serval tidbits of interest to our visually impaired community.
1. The Labor Department has issued new rules regarding government contractors. To coincide with a 2010 executive order by President Obama, governmental contractors will be required to set goals to hire disabled workers and veterans equal to 8 percent of their employees. While that lumps disabilities in with veterans at least it is a giant step in employment opportunities. Unfortunately, setting goals may not translate into jobs in the foreseeable future.
2. Any of you with old corporations listed with the Secretary of State will have an amnesty period until December 31 regarding franchise tax. This is a good break if you had a business, let it go dormant and now are thinking you should have kept it active.
3. As you know, I am a big proponent of medical tracking apps for blind folks. I think information leads to better diagnosis and disease control. However, we really need to watch the privacy policy of these apps. Researchers have found the app owners, in an effort to increase income, are selling the information to third parties. Remember doctors, pharmacies, and I must keep your information confidential but once you put it out on the web or into an app, the ownership changes. Just be careful ! I am not changing my position but I will be reading the small print more carefully.

I am off to get ready to out that smile on my face tomorrow....it may take more effort than usual!
Take care,
Dr. Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment