Monday, May 6, 2013

Tech notes for Mother's Day

Just a reminder folks, Mother's Day is Sunday! As usual, it always slips up on me. So as I was scouring the web for the perfect gift for my wonderful mother I stumbled across this which is just too good not to share.

From CNet, one of the authoritative and respectable technology magazines you can order a "click and grow starter kit".  Now for full disclosure, I must admit that I bought a device last summer to grow tomatoes on my deck and not only did it work, I had tomatoes until frost. It came from my favorite source--Amazon! Proof some of these gizmos actually work.

This advertises a device available from clickandgrow.com. The Click & Grow is an electronic smart planter that runs $79. You install batteries and add water to a small compartment in the all-white, ultra-modern planter, and that's it. Sensors, a pump, and some software help take care of the rest. No green thumb required -- which is good for someone like me. I manage to kill succulents, which are virtually indestructible and even store water. A light on the front of the mini-garden lets you know when you need to add more water to the reservoir (about once a month) or when you need to replace the batteries (about once a year). The only drawback is there are only a few flower varieties to choose from. But, on the other hand, there are several herb plants offered as well as a tomato and chili pepper option. 

If any tries this, let me know.
Until tomorrow,
Dr. Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment