Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday Tech Tip

Hope everyone is having a great week. A little sunshine would certainly help my week and disposition! Thanks to Dick for catching my typographical error. I meant to thank Arkansas Council OF the Blind for the generous donation. Auto correct and my bifocals often have a power struggle! Again, thanks to ACB for the generous donation-the supplies have been ordered and many clients are anxious to receive their aids.

My tech tip for the week involves my affinity for Apple products. The magical Apple TV unit is a simple looking 5" square object about one inch thick. Like other Apple products it is AWESOME!
This gizmo connects to your television set using an HDMI port. It wirelessly (without wires or cables) uses your Internet to connect to your other Apple devices. From my iPad, I can mirror my iPad to my television and enlarge web pages. Why you ask? Because low vision clients tire quickly when trying to read enlarged print. This allows the user to more comfortably read and provides the option of using the iPad as a portable magnifier. Bank statements, credit card bills, anything with small print can be viewed on the television screen.

Another bonus to the Apple TV is the ability to watch streaming video. YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime and other similar services provide more viewing options. Netflix and Amazon are subscription services. For an small fee, subscribers can select and view movies, documentaries, current and old television shows without commercials. Netflix requires a monthly membership fee of approximately $10 and the Amazon Prime is a yearly fee of $79. I enjoy the Amazon Prime because I prefer to watch old television shows rather than movies. Also with the Amazon Prime, I enjoy free shipping on my Amazon purchases. However, Netflix has committed to audio description which certainly has its' benefits for our clients.

If you feel your television cable bill has become a financial burden, it is possible to purchase an HD antenna from Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal Mart, or similar retail outlet. A good antenna costs less than $50 and will use the other HDMI port to receive signals. I live in the country and pick up 27 channels including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, PBS for free! This with my Apple TV and streaming service provides far more entertainment options than I have time to enjoy! I caution you to consider the increased data usage if you add a streaming service. My plan charged an extra $10 for my overage limit. I was trying several things so I can't say which activity tipped me over the limit. Regardless, between the ability to enlarge my iPad screen, watch uninterrupted shows and movies and see my beautiful twin grandchildren using face time----I am sold on Apple TV.

I will be demonstrating these nifty tricks at our next low vision meeting and sharing more ideas with you. Let me know how you use technology! I would love to hear from you.

Until tomorrow,
Dr. Janet


No comments:

Post a Comment