Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Wednesday Wisdom

Our upcoming healthy habits seminars are generating lots of chatter among clients. A basic complaint is transportation for shopping and medical appointments. I can't solve your transportation woes but I would like to give you shopping options!

As a seasoned shopper, I have my favorites. Personally, I enjoy the convenience of the Amazon.com
Subscribe and save program. This program is very simple. You establish an Amazon account, select your items, set a delivery schedule and the items appear on your doorstep! With the subscribe and save option, shipping is free, items are priced competitively and there is no sales tax. This is especially convenient for bulky items such as paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc. All of those things which are cumbersome to place in the cart, drag through the checkout line, transport home and unload.

I usually compare the Amazon price to Wal Mart. For today's example, I chose Bounce Fabric Softener sheets. Wal Mart price for 160 sheets was $6.84. Target had 120 sheets for $6.04. Amazon has 160 sheets for $6.50 or the best buy is 240 sheets from Amazon for $9.68. Wal Mart has a free ship program with a $45 minimum purchase of eligible items. Target has a 5% discount and free shipping with their house brand credit card. Both Wal Mart and Target charge Arkansas sales tax. To my knowledge, Bounce doesn't spoil so I am going with the 240 sheets. The box is only slightly larger thn the 160 count size and stores conveniently with a fold back top.

In the past, I purchased canned goods from Amazon on a regular basis. Today's prices are much higher than my last purchase and I can pick up green beans and carrots at my neighborhood Dollar General for a better price. However, case prices of cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken are competitive and often have coupons for additional discounts on Amazon. The cash saving is great but I really like the fact they are delivered to my door.

Thought for the day from my favorite author, Dr. Seuss:
"Sometimes you will never know the value of something until it becomes a memory"

Until tomorrow,
Dr. Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment