Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Watch out Siri

It is official, google is making a run at Apples's popular voice assistant. The duel began on Monday with the release of a free iPhone and iPad app that features Google Now. Apparently Google Now performs many of the same functions. I haven't tried the new Google, probably out of my loyalty to Apple, but I do use google for this blog and most of my functions outside of World Services. It seems that using the app will require logging in to your Google account and using at least a couple of commands.  Siri is simple, push the home key and speak.

The media reports that Google is luring Apple users away from Apple developed services. This was certainly true with Google maps for iPad. The Apple version was a flop and Google works great. As much as I travel to see clients, Google maps seldom let me down. Rumor has it that once  you sign into your Google account, it will track your preferences and then be able to make suggestions and selections based on your past browsing habits. Personally, I am not sure how I feel about that feature. I envision passing a Baskin Robbins store and Google Now screaming "right turn, right turn!"

Let me know your thoughts!
Until tomorrow,
Dr. Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment